Through an anonymous gift, a Scholarship Fund has been established at St. Philip’s United Methodist Church for qualifying students. The following are the stipulations for qualification:
- The scholarship funds are available to Staff, Children of Staff, and Children of St. Philip’s UMC members
- With the exception of staff’s children, member youth must have been an active participant in the St. Philip’s Youth Program during the twelve months preceding initial entry into college or an approved program.
- Scholarships may be given to students actively pursuing any degree at an accredited university, or an education or continuing education program offered or approved by the United Methodist Church.
- No more than $500 per semester may be granted to a student. Students may request and receive funds at any time during the semester in which they are enrolled. However, subsequent funding may only be granted upon a student’s satisfactory completion of the preceding semester’s curriculum. The maximum amount per student is $1,000 per year.
- Scholarship funds may be used for tuition, books, room or board, without limitations.
If you believe you qualify and are interested in seeking a scholarship, please complete the Application for St. Philips UMC Scholarship form.
Also provide a 250-words or less statement regarding your goals and aspirations, as well as why you are seeking a scholarship. Questions should be directed to one of the Committee members – Allen Grant or Brenda Robinson.
To date, St. Philip’s has awarded scholarships to three students who graduated from an accredited college – Nancy Cobbs, Abby Seward and Polly Standing. While we started with a $5,000 anonymous contribution in 2000 and $4,000 nearly 20 years later, we have received approximately $35,000 and awarded about $30,000. All the funds have come from the generosity of St. Philippians.